Best Ever Vegan Meatless Meatballs
Quinoa Meatballs | Vegetarian “Meatball” Recipe
Yields: 6 | Serving size: 2 meatballs | Calories: 291 | Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 3 mg | Sodium: 293 mg | Carbohydrates: 139g | Dietary fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5 |
- Add pre-rinsed quinoa and water to a medium pot, cover, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and continue cooking 15 minutes or until water is completely absorbed. In the meantime, in a large non-stick skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil, heat to medium-low and sauté diced onions and bell pepper until tender about 4 minutes, add garlic, parsley and oregano and sauté one additional minute.
- Remove quinoa from heat and allow to rest 10 minutes. Press down on quinoa with a paper towel to remove any remaining water.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sautéed onion, garlic, parsley and oregano along with remaining ingredients, except oil. Use either a potato masher or fork and mash the ingredients until the lentils are well mashed. Using your hands, shape into 1 ½ “ (meatless) meatballs, place in a large bowl, cover and refrigerate until chilled, about 2 hours.
- Add remaining 2 tablespoons oil to a large non-stick skillet, heat to medium-low and add quinoa (meatless) meatballs. Brown meatballs, turn over and brown on the other side. Cook until browned and heated through, about 16 minutes. Remove from skillet and drain on a paper towel.
- If you plan to serve these (meatless) meatballs with marinara, add to the marinara sauce, gently turn to coat. Simmer until hot and serve over pasta.
- These are a perfect food to eat prior to working out as they provide complex carbohydrates for energy and protein for building muscles. When on hand, I’ll have a few before a workout.
- TIP: For a vegan version, use vegan egg replacer or 1 tbsp of flaxmeal mixed with 3 tbsp water rather than the 2-3 teaspoons straight water.
Here's a tip from Joey, one of our readers:
- "Istead of browning the meatballs in a skillet, I brushed them with olive oil and broiled them for about 15 minutes (flip meatballs after 7 minutes).
Video: Quinoa Meatballs - Vegan Recipes!
MH’s 14 best-ever breakfast foods
How to Stop Normalizing Abusive Behavior
Vegetable Patties Recipe
5 Stretches You Should Do Every Morning
Forget About BMI And Make This Your Go-To Fitness Checklist
Exercise Recommendations Developed for Ankylosing Spondylitis
10 Things A Yoga Teacher Learns About You Within The First 5 Minutes Of Class
How to Not Break the Bank in a Long Distance Relationship
Continuous Glucose Monitoring: Around-the-Clock Diabetes Management
How to Support an Autistic Person During Autism Awareness Month
FDA Trans Fat Ban: 25 Foods That Will Never Taste the Same
Roasted Leek Soup Recipe
Mediterranean Egg White Frittata