Concept Art BOOT CAMP 6: Concept Art Bodies (6 STAGES to stylish, balanced forms for concept art!)
How to Draw Concept Art for a Game
Do you have this awesome video game idea? Or this movie script everyone should go to the cinema for? One of the first steps, after creating the idea and deciding what type of media it will be, is thinking how everything will look. To get the best version of something, you should make concept art and show it to everyone, and ask them what they think of your idea. It will also help making the final product if you have concept art ready before you start. Concept art is the idea you have for your product design. It consists of a lot of drawings, almost always drawn by hand. It is every object that will be seen in your product, from characters to weapons to gadgets.
Decide if you want this character to be a male or a female (or a robot, or an animal, etc.) and you should draw or look online for a base. Make sure that it has the shape you want your character to have. You have to think of the following:
- Are they hairy, furry (animal fur), or do they have long hair or short hair? Do they have a beard or stubble (in the case of a man)?
- Are they thin, average, curvy, chubby, fat, or somewhere in between the above? Short, tall, or somewhere in between?
- Are they male, female, intersex, trans, or other?
Start drawing.We are starting with the clothes so the base doesn't need a face or details yet. When you have the base you will start by choosing if you want your character to have a shirt and pants or maybe a dress. Draw the shape roughly and make a few copies. You can do this by scanning it in and printing it or put a paper over the first design and draw over the edges. Now you can start drawing the designs in the clothes. After you draw all the designs, it is recommended to scan in the drawing as a backup.
Color them in.Choose what colors you want to use. If you scanned them, in you can print them out and have more of every design so you can experiment with the colors. Try out every color combination you want and also show all of them to family and friends, to hear what they think. You can also post it online on a forum and hear what they think of it there, or post it in social media. Choose the design everyone likes best.
- When choosing, remember that you will make the final product so you have the decision which one it will be. If everyone says that design 4 is best but you mostly like 1, you should remember them both.
Start designing the character itself.Draw the face in different ways. Go past steps 2, 3 and 4. Keep the clothe designs in mind. Now put the two together. If it doesn't fit, try to change the clothes or the face. Show everything that comes out of this to your family and friends. Again ask what they like best. You can also ask it online again. Go with what you all like best. If less then 40% of those questioned liked the design you liked most, it is probably best to go for (one of) the other design(s).
Go past steps 2, 3 and 4 for the objects.Draw different bases, draw the detail in, color them, show them to family and friends and most important make them work with each other. If you have part of the objects with dark blue, black and gray and give it sharp corners, you don't want a bright red with green round object in there.
Try out your objects with the character.If this looks good, congratulations, you have your first character concept art! If it doesn't look good, try to make it look good with each other. After you have done this, you can go back to step 1 for the next character, or you can move on to drawing your comic, recreating the drawings in 3D for your game, look for actors/actress who look like it for your movie, or whatever else you want to do with it.
- If you want to use it in a comic, it is smart to make more concept arts from different sides, but with the looks of the final drawing.
- If you want to use it in a game, you could scan the drawing and recreate it in 3D by importing it in the background of your 3D modeling software and coloring it in in 3D.
- If you want to use it for a movie, you should think of what materials you could use to make the costume (and objects) and look for an actor/actress who looks somewhat like your drawing.
QuestionIf a person were interested in obtaining more education for this field where would one look to get that?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou could research pictures online of concept art for popular games, and some art colleges have courses on this.Thanks!
- Show your progress regularly to friends and family, so they can tell you what you could do to improve it.
- Look online for a forum where you want to post pictures or scans from your work. Family and friends might say it looks good so you won't hate them, while your work could be a lot better. Post something after every step and ask for things that can be improved.
- Your first try at making your concept art might not be the best looking drawing in the world, but it doesn't matter. Every try will go better. Also, it is just the concept, not the final product.
Video: So You Want to be a CONCEPT ARTIST?
Could Olivia Colman Be The Next Doctor Who
Is Your Phone Ageing You
Top 60 Best Bar Top Ideas – Unique Countertop Designs
30 Geralt Tattoo Designs For Men – Witcher Ink Ideas
Elie Saab Couture Fall 2019 Collection at Haute Couture PFW
Read the Hilarious Letter a Dad Wrote When His 6 Year Old Asked for Money
Fashion’s Next Obsession Has Launched: Video ForInstagram
Anti-Inflammatory Tart Cherry Smoothie Recipe
Johnnie Walker Launches Limited-Edition Game of Thrones’ Whiskey
Google Assistant can finally be summoned on iPhones using your voice
How to Change In a School Locker Room
Is Pain and Cramping During Your Period Normal
Know how you can gain weight in ten days
How to Calculate Averages in Excel