How to Boil & Cut a Potato : Cooking With Potatoes
How to Boil Red Potatoes
Red potatoes are perfect for boiling and can be prepared very easily this way. You can boil red potatoes on the stove or in the microwave. Either way, boiled red potatoes are a versatile ingredient that can be dressed up and enjoyed a number of ways.
Washing and Cutting Your Potatoes
Select smooth, ripe potatoes.Make sure the potatoes you choose to boil are good for cooking. When at the store, examine the potatoes you pick. Go for potatoes with skin that is smooth and free of any bumps or discoloration. Potatoes, when ripe, are also firm.
- Dark spots, sprouts, and shades of green all indicate a potato may not be ripe.
Wash your potatoes.Before boiling your potatoes, wash them under running water. Use either a brush or your hands to scrub the surface, removing any visible dirt or grime.
- Do not use soap to wash your potatoes.
Leave the skin in place.Red potatoes can actually be boiled with the skin still on. This better preserves the flavor during the boiling process and adds a nice texture. A potato's skin is also rich in nutrients.
Chop the potatoes.Potatoes boil faster when chopped into small chunks. Cut your potato into small cubes of roughly even size.
- If you're going to be mashing the potatoes, you do not have to worry too much about precise size. However, if you're making something like potato salad, consult your recipe. It should advise you on the correct sized chunks.
- When not following a recipe, chunk about an inch or half an inch thick (2.5 or 1.2 centimeters) should be sufficient.
Boiling Potatoes on the Stove
Submerge your potatoes in water.Place your potatoes in a pot. Cover the potatoes with enough water so they are fully submerged.As salt helps flavor potatoes as they cook, add about one and a half to tablespoons of salt to the water (22.5 to 30 mL).
Bring the pot to a boil.Place the pot over the stove on high heat. Leave the pot on the stove until the water comes to a boil.
Simmer the potatoes until they're tender.Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-high. Simmer your potatoes for 10 to 15 minutes. When they're done, the potatoes should be tender.You should be able to easily cut through the potatoes with a fork.
- When you're done, you can drain the potatoes over the sink using a colander.
- If you're using a specific recipe, consult that recipe. If your recipe requires firmer potatoes, you may need to simmer your potatoes for a shorter timeframe.
Serving the Potatoes
Use the boiled red potatoes for mashed potatoes.While russet (brown) potatoes are more commonly used for mashed potatoes, red potatoes can make excellent mashed potatoes, too. If you want mashed potatoes, you can easily mash your potatoes with a fork after boiling them.
- It may help to boil the potatoes for 5 to 10 minutes longer if mashing them, as they'll be more tender.
- In addition to butter, add some milk to your potatoes before mashing them.
Make potato salad.If you want to use your red potatoes for cold potato salad, boil them, drain them, and place them in the refrigerator for an hour or so until they cool. Then, you can mix them with other ingredients to make potato salad.
- Chop the potatoes once cool. The pieces should be less than 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick.
- Toss the potatoes with 6 hard boiled and chopped eggs, 1 lb (450 g) fried and crumbled bacon, 1 stalk chopped celery, 1 chopped onion, and 2 cups (500 ml) mayonnaise until evenly mixed.
- Keep the potato salad cool until you serve it.
Top with cheese.A simple way to dress up your boiled red potatoes is simply to cover them with melted or toasted cheese. Parmesan cheese works for a quick, no fuss dressing, but cheddar cheese or mozzarella cheese works well if you are willing to put in a few extra minutes of effort.
- Grated Parmesan cheese can just be sprinkled on without any additional work.
- For shredded cheddar, mozzarella, or other similar cheeses, sprinkle the boiled and drained potatoes. Microwave the cheese-covered potatoes for 30 seconds to melt the cheese.
- If you want to toast the cheese lightly and give the edges of the potatoes a mildly crispy edge, transfer the boiled and cheese-covered potatoes to a greased baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 degrees Celsius) on the top rack of the oven.
Sprinkle with additional spices or dressings.Red potatoes are versatile, so they can work well with many dressings made from savory herbs or savory spices. Experiment with different spices to add flavor to your potatoes.
- For instance, a quick way to add color and flavor to your boiled and drained red potatoes would be to sprinkle them with 1 tsp (5 ml) of paprika.
- Similarly, you can combine 1 tsp (5 ml) of paprika with 2 Tbsp (30 ml) of olive oil, whisking well until combined. Toss the cooked and drained potatoes in this mixture so that they benefit from the flavors of both the paprika and the oil.
Make “loaded” potatoes.While loaded potatoes tend to be baked russet potatoes, you can create a similar dish with boiled and drained red potatoes. This can be a great appetizer for a party.
- If the potatoes are not already quartered, cut them into quarters.
- Place a serving size on a dish.
- Coat with butter and toss until covered. Cover with a sprinkle of shredded cheddar cheese, a dollop of sour cream, and a dash of chopped fresh chives or green onions. Consider sprinkling with bacon bits, as well.
QuestionHow long do you boil red skin potatoes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBoil the potatoes for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until they are tender. They should be soft enough so that you can easily pierce them with a fork.Thanks!
QuestionHow long do I boil red potatoes for mashed potatoes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou should boil them for the same amount as time as you would without maskhing them: about 15 to 20 minutes. Once they are soft and tender, you can peel, season, and mash them.Thanks!
QuestionDo you peel red potatoes before boiling?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, do not peel red potatoes before boiling them. Leave the skins on, as this will help them retain flavor. You can easily remove the skins after you have boiled them.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if potatoes spill out of the pot?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou probably put too many potatoes in the pot or you put too much water in it.Thanks!
QuestionHow can I keep boiled red potatoes warm for a buffet dinner?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerOnce your red potatoes are boiled, wrap them in aluminium foil and then in a piece of cloth. If necessary, warm the potatoes up in the microwave before serving them.Thanks!
QuestionCan I boil the potatoes the day before I make potato salad?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYou can, but I recommend waiting until the day of so the potatoes are fresher.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I keep the skin on after boiling my red potatoes?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerJust let the potatoes sit after boiling them. Don't rinse them with water as this could loosen the skins.Thanks!
My red potatoes always lose their red color when I cook them-what am I doing wrong?
To boil red potatoes, start by washing the potatoes under running water to remove any visible dirt or grime. Next, chop them into small cubes, and place them in a pot with enough water to fully cover the potatoes. Add salt to help bring out the flavor, then bring the pot to a boil. Afterwards, reduce the heat to medium-high and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Sources and Citations
Upload a picture for other readers to see.
In other languages:
Italiano: , Português: , Deutsch: , 中文: , Русский: , Español: , Français: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Nederlands:
Video: How to Make Boiled Potatoes
How to Do Fish Pose (Matsyasana) in Yoga
REN Launches No. 1 Cleanser, Hopes It Will Be Your1
Focused Ultrasound Eliminated Her Parkinson’s Symptoms
How to Make a Sale
7 Ways to Look and Feel Your Best During Menopause
How to Convert Binary to Hexadecimal
23 Easy Halloween Costumes Using Only Makeup
I Lost More Than 300 Pounds After Cutting Out Fast Food
5 Beauty things that if done can cause birth defects
Kendall and K-Stews Cannes Airport Outfits Couldnt Be More Different